Country Support initiative: Getting closer to the countries
ECDC’s vision for its country support is based on provisions of the ECDC Founding Regulation (851/2004)
and foresees "well-coordinated capacities across Europe to effectively prevent, detect, assess and control communicable diseases that threaten the health of the European population
The purpose of establishing a new mechanism for ECDC country support is two-fold:
1. to provide all EU/EEA countries with an equal opportunity to express their needs and shape priorities for action in communicable disease prevention and control at the EU-level, and
2. to facilitate a better understanding of the varying health systems and needs of European countries.
ECDC Country Support Mechanism will be implemented through a regular call for expressions of needs
, which will be submitted by Coordinating Competent Bodies (CCBs) of the Member States (MS). These expressions of needs will then be reviewed in light of eligibility (i.e. must fall within ECDC mandate), four key criteria:
1. public health importance;
2. EU added value;
3. resources and commitments offered by the beneficiary country, and
4. expressions of needs submitted by less-resourced MS) and the available resources for implementation of ECDC activities.