The ECDC training activities contribute to capacity strengthening and workforce development for disease prevention and control in the European Union.
ECDC partners with national and international public health organisations to provide applied, competency based training activities to professionals at national and community levels.
The ECDC training activities have three strategic targets:
- Capacity building: fellowships programmes such as the European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (EPIET) and the EU Public Health Microbiology training programme (EUPHEM), and short courses for continuous professional development of public health professionals in the member states
- Strengthening European training networks: applied epidemiology training programmes, Mediterranean Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training (MediPIET), contribution to training networks and instructional design support
- Virtual training centre function: FEM wiki a set of core training materials for intervention epidemiologists; ECDC Virtual Academy a learning management system to support on-line and blended learning activities; and the training extranet with restricted access
The ECDC training offer is accessible on the ECDC Virtual Academy, as a regularly updated
catalogue of training activities categorised in three areas:
- Open: training activities open to
any individual participant, mainly e-learning courses.
- Restricted: training activities which
have a limited number of seats allocated following a selection procedure, run
by ECDC in consultation with the National Focal Points for Training. These activities include short courses, summer
school, seminars, simulation exercises, workshops and exchange of experts.
- Fellowship: curricular modules for the
participants of the Fellowship programme. Attendance is for the EPIET and
EUPHEM fellows but the materials of the courses are available.
Read more about the ECDC training activities
ECDC Public Health Training Strategy