From January 2008 onwards, ECDC and the WHO Regional Office for Europe jointly coordinate HIV/AIDS surveillance in Europe. Together they work to ensure a high quality of HIV/AIDS surveillance data covering all 53 countries in the European region.
The surveillance data on HIV and AIDS diagnoses is collected annually and is submitted by the national HIV/AIDS surveillance contact points in the Member States to The European Surveillance System (TESSy). The HIV/AIDS surveillance report is published annually on World AIDS Day, 1 December.
The major activities within the HIV/AIDS surveillance network are:
- Improvement on surveillance of HIV/AIDS in Europe
- HIV/AIDS data collection for 2010 from EU/EFTA countries and WHO Euro region
- Annual report for HIV/AIDS Surveillance 2010
- Annual meeting for the European Network for HIV/AIDS Surveillance
- Literature review on HIV incidence studies monitoring recently acquired HIV infections: implications for the European Union.