28/08/2014 As of 28 August 2014, 10 human cases of West Nile fever have been reported in the EU and 36 cases have been reported in neighbouring countries since the beginning of the 2014 transmission season.
During the past week, Greece reported three new probable cases:
- one from the already affected prefecture of Ileia;
- two from the newly affected prefecture of Rodopi.
Italy reported its first case for the current transmission season. This is a confirmed case detected in Pavia province (Lombardy region).
In addition, information on recent infection of West Nile virus in birds and/or mosquitoes in Italy (Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy, Sicily and Veneto regions), is available in the Bollettino epidemiologico WND
Romania reported its first two cases for the current transmission season:
- one confirmed case probably infected in Constanta district;
- one confirmed case from Olt district.
In neighbouring countries, Serbia reported nine new cases:
- six from an already affected area, Grad Beograd (3 probable and 3 confirmed cases);
- three from two newly affected districts: Kolubarski (1 probable case) and Sremski (2 confirmed cases).