The launch event of the fourth European Antibiotic Awareness Day will take place in Brussels and will follow the Commissioners’ Midday Press Briefing, where Commissioners Dalli will present the European Commission’s Action Plan to tackle Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
Topics and speakers at the event include:
- The Commission’s Action Plan to better tackle the growing health problem of antimicrobial resistance (AMR), Paola Testori Coggi, Director General of DG SANCO;
- The EU's research strategy to combat antimicrobial resistance, Ruxandra Draghia-Akli, Director of the Health Directorate, DG Research and Innovation;
- Launch of European Antibiotic Awareness Day 2011, including latest Europe-wide data on antibiotic resistance, Marc Sprenger, Director of ECDC;
- National perspectives on tackling antibiotic resistance, representatives of the ongoing Polish Presidency of the EU and of the incoming Danish Presidency;
- Patient perspective on antimicrobial resistance – a video documentary on patients affected by antibiotic resistance;
- Industry perspective on revitalising the R&D model through cooperation, Richard Bergström, Director General, EFPIA.
European Antibiotic Awareness Day is a European public health initiative which aims to provide a platform and support for national campaigns about prudent antibiotic use and is marked each year during the week of 18 November. The focus of this year’s European Antibiotic Awareness Day is to raise awareness about growing resistance to last-line antibiotics in Europe.
Programme of launch event: European Antibiotic Awareness Day 2011