Joint Consultation on Pandemic and All-Hazard Preparedness
ECDC and WHO Regional Office for Europe held a joint Consultation on Pandemic and All-Hazard Preparedness in Bratislava, Slovakia, on 20-21 November 2013.
The aim of the consultation was to provide an overview of the current public health emergency preparedness landscape and to explore critical gaps in implementation across the EU. In addition, the meeting offered an opportunity for EU Member States to highlight areas in which ECDC and WHO activities could be of particular added value.
ECDC’s National Focal Points from all EU Member States in the fields of preparedness and response as well as influenza were invited to this consultation. Representatives from other countries in the WHO European Region were also invited.
Specific objectives of the consultation included:
- Discussing synergies between core capacities as defined under the International Health Regulations (IHR), pandemic influenza preparedness, and capacity provisions included in the Decision No 1082/2013/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2013 on serious cross-border threats to health;
- Discussing the implementation of the public health preparedness provisions for EU Member States as referenced in the new Decision;
- Building on experiences learned from pandemic influenza preparedness planning and to discuss the recently published WHO Pandemic influenza risk management interim guidance and its implications for Member States;
- Identifying and sharing good practices and key areas for inter-country collaboration.
- The consultation is expected to advise ECDC and WHO on cooperation needed to support health emergency preparedness throughout the EU, and prepare the way for further initiatives in the years to come.
ISIRV and ECDC influenza epidemiology meeting 16-18 January 2019
16 Jan 2019 to 18 Jan 2019 - The ISIRV (International Society for Influenza and other Respiratory Virus Diseases) Epidemiology Group and ECDC are holding an influenza epidemiology meeting at ECDC in Stockholm 16-18 January 2019.
Flu Awareness Week, 22 – 26 October 2018
22 Oct 2018 to 26 Oct 2018 - The Flu Awareness Week is marked across the WHO European Region every year in October. It aims to raise awareness of the importance of vaccination for people’s health and well-being and to increase the uptake of seasonal influenza vaccination of people with underlying risk factors.
Joint WHO/Europe–ECDC Annual European Influenza Surveillance Meeting, 2018
6 Jun 2018 to 8 Jun 2018 - The joint annual influenza surveillance meeting by ECDC and the WHO Regional Office for Europe took place on 6 - 8 June 2018 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Invited participants were epidemiological and virological surveillance experts nominated by national health authorities as well as representatives from international institutions, covering the 53 countries of the EU/EEA and the WHO European region. The meeting was by invitation only.