Training course on control of multidrug-resistant micro-organisms in health care settings
ECDC is organising a short course on “Control of multidrug-resistant micro-organisms (MDROs) in health care settings”. This training opportunity is addressed at healthcare professionals from European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries with current or future responsibility for the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) due to MDROs working at national or local level. The course is offered by invitation only and participants are identified through the ECDC Coordinating Competent Bodies.
The aim of this course is to strengthen capacity in the EU/EEA countries for the prevention and control of HAIs due to MDROs in acute health care settings and to promote the broad implementation of appropriate measures in the EU/EEA. The course also seeks to facilitate team building between colleagues with similar responsibilities in controlling the spread of MDROs in healthcare settings in EU/EEA countries and at ECDC, and to share knowledge on training approaches and best practices with expert leaders in the field.
The topics covered by the course include:
- Introduction to MDROs from a microbiological and epidemiological perspective;
- Laboratory investigations and methods (identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing, good laboratory practice);
- Antibiotic stewardship (antibiotic policies, measures for improvement of prescribing);
- Infection prevention and control (evidence-based practice, effective interventions and measures);
- Surveillance of HAIs;
- Application to practice (application of interventions to control MDROs in health care settings, transparent reporting of outbreaks, and interventions).
More on the topic
Antimicrobial resistance is the ability of a microorganism (e.g., a bacterium, a virus) to resist the action of an antimicrobial agent. The major cause of antimicrobial resistance remains the use of antimicrobials in human medicine.Read more
Online directory with strategies, guidance documents and training courses on the prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections by the EU/EEA coutnries and organisationsRead more
ECDC calls for continued action to address antimicrobial resistance in healthcare settings
15 Nov 2018 - On European Antibiotic Awareness Day, ECDC publishes the results of two point-prevalence surveys of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use in hospitals and in long-term care facilities in the EU/EEA.