Weekly influenza updates 2017/18
During the influenza transmission season ECDC and the WHO Regional Office for Europe jointly reports on the influenza situation in the wider European region. The updates cover the 53 countries of the WHO European Region (including the EU/EEA Member States) and are published weekly in the report Flu News Europe. The updates are also published on the ECDC website (avaliable in the listing below).
The reports provide key data and analysis on a variety of issues including
- A summary of the influenza intensity, spread and dominant virus type/subtype,
- Sentinel surveillance of influenza-like illness and acute respiratory illness in primary care settings,
- Hospital surveillance of severe influenza cases and related mortality surveillance,
- Virus characteristics. The virus characteristics data provide information on the extent of the similarity to the vaccine virus strains, and accordingly vaccine effectiveness, pathogenicity, and susceptibility to antiviral treatments.
- ECDC also regularly publishes stand-alone, detailed virus characterisation reports.
See all weekly updates for the 2017/18 season
More about influenza surveillance
Flu News Europe: Weekly influenza updates
In collaboration with WHO Regional Office for Europe, ECDC monitors and reports on influenza activity in Europe on a weekly basis throughout the flu season. The latest data is published in the report Flu News Europe.