Partnerships and networks
The main mode for ECDC to interact with the Member States on scientific and technical work is within networks linked to Competent Bodies in the countries. In each Member State there is a Coordinating Competent Body (CCB) with a National Coordinator (NC) responsible for institutional contacts with ECDC, as well as National Focal Points (NFPs) and Operational Contacts Points (OCP) responsible for strategic and operational collaboration on technical and scientific issues for specific diseases areas and public health functions. The various networks consist of NFPs and OCPs within the areas of ECDC work.
Common terms of reference for the NFPs, OCPs, and Network Coordination Committees have been developed in order to consolidate the structures, functions, and work processes of the networks.
ECDC is a member of the European Union (EU) family, and receives funding from the EU budget. The EU Institutions and Member States are therefore ECDC’s most important partners.
Public health networks
The NFPs and OCPs for the below public health functions constitute the ECDC Public Health Networks.
- Emerging Viral Diseases-Expert Laboratory Network (EVD-LabNet)
- European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network (EARS-Net)
- European Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease Surveillance Network (EuroCJD)
- European Diphtheria Surveillance Network (EDSN)
- European Food- and Waterborne Diseases and Zoonoses Network (FWD-Net)
- European Gonococcal Antimicrobial Surveillance Programme (Euro-GASP)
- European Influenza Surveillance Network (EISN)
- European Invasive Bacterial Disease Surveillance Network (EU-IBD)
- European Legionnaires’ Disease Surveillance Network (ELDSNet)
- European Network for Hepatitis B and C Surveillance
- European Network for HIV/AIDS Surveillance
- European Network for STI Surveillance
- European Reference Laboratory Network for Human Influenza (ERLI-Net)
- European Reference Laboratory Network for TB (ERLTB-Net)
- European Surveillance of Antimicrobial Consumption Network (ESAC-Net)
- European Tuberculosis Surveillance Network
- Healthcare-associated Infections Surveillance Network (HAI-Net)
- European network for sharing data on the geographic distribution of arthropod vectors, transmitting human and animal disease agents (VectorNet)
Assessing communicable disease control and prevention in EU enlargement countries
This technical document presents a package of tools for the assessment of public health capacities of enlargement countries (EU Candidate Countries and EU Potential Candidate Countries) in the area of communicable disease prevention and control. ECDC has been working with enlargement countries since 2006 in order to strengthen their capacities to implement EU legislation, fulfil the necessary requirements, and meet a core set of accession criteria in this field.Read more