European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE)
2014, The European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE) took place on 5-7 November 2014 at the Stockholm Waterfront Congress Centre in the heart of the city. The conference was set to include five plenary sessions and around 300 presentations on all aspects of infectious disease control and prevention.
The conference started with Dr. Ilaria Capua’s keynote address on globalisation and pathogens. Dr. Capua is a veterinarian by training and has devoted most of her professional life to virology. In 2011, she was the first female recipient of the Penn Vet World Leadership Award. In 2014, she received the Excellence Award conferred by the European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.
Other major topics that ESCAIDE 2014 addressed were:
- "How are cross-border health threats dealt with in the EU" With an introduction from Martin Seychell, Deputy Director-General for Consumers and Health, European Commission; presentations on preparedness and risk assessment at an EU level; and risk management and risk assessment at national level.
- "Primum non nocere – Why engineer microbes to be more dangerous to humankind" A plenary discussion with Dr. Filippa Lentzos and Dr. Simon Wain-Hobson.
- Surveillance of influenza in humans and animals, emerging and vector-borne diseases, attitudes to vaccines and effectiveness of vaccination, and many more.
At the end of its first day, this year’s Conference piloted the BarCamp@ESCAIDE event, an informal get-together to discuss raw ideas, data and methodological challenges and more with peers and seniors.
For the latest updates:
• ESCAIDE website: www.escaide.eu
• ESCAIDE Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/escaide
• ECDC on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ECDC_EU
Use the hashtag #ESCAIDE
To receive updates by email, please join the ESCAIDE mailing list by subscribing to the following address:email@example.com
World Tuberculosis Day - 2018
24 Mar 2018 to 24 Mar 2018 - World Tuberculosis Day - marked each year on 24 March – is an occasion to raise awareness and advocate for efforts to eliminate TB.
ECDC ENLabCap consultation meeting with EU enlargement countries
1 Feb 2018 to 2 Feb 2018 - Overall aim of this regional ENLabCap consultation workshop was to discuss the adjustments proposed to the current EULabCap tool and agree on those needed to adapt it for the EU enlargement countries.
Course: Methods and tools for evidence-based practice with focus on infectious diseases
9 Nov 2017 to 9 Nov 2017 - For public health professionals who want to understand the basic principles of evidence-based practice and get basic hands-on training in the area. The course is open to all and offered as an ESCAIDE 2017 side event. Places are filled on a first come first served basis.