Echinococcosis - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2014
In 2014, 28 of 31 EU/EEA countries reported data on echinococcosis. Of these, seven reported zero cases.
- In 2014, 801 confirmed echinococcosis cases were reported in the EU/EEA. Of these, 439 cases, including one death, were reported as Echinococcus granulosus, and 82 were reported as Echinococcus multilocularis.
- The notification rate of echinococcosis was 0.2 cases per 100 000 population in the EU/EEA.
- The highest number of cases was reported in the age group 25−44 years; the highest notification rate was reported in the age groups 25 years of age and above.
- In 2014, 28 of 31 EU/EEA countries reported data on echinococcosis. Of these, seven reported zero cases.
- Twenty-three countries reported echinococcosis cases, using the 2008 or 2012 EU case definitions, which are identical for echinococcosis. One country reported in accordance with the 2002 EU case definition, and four countries used other/unspecified definitions (Annex).
- Echinococcosis is under active surveillance in 10% of the reporting countries (3/28); see Annex.