The European Surveillance System (TESSy)
This page describes who has the right, and how to access, TESSy data.
Access to TESSy data
Types of access
- Direct access to data: for individuals nominated by the EU/EEA countries, European Commission, EU bodies, international organisations and other entities, following the TESSy nomination procedure;
- Access to subsets of data: for external researchers and the same group entitled to direct access (see "Requesting access to subsets of TESSy data" below);
- Access to aggregated published data is unrestricted. Dissemination is authorised subject to appropriate acknowledgement (see Conditions for Publishing Note). See the “Surveillance Atlas of Infectious Diseases” for TESSy aggregated data.
Use of TESSy data
Access to the TESSy data, either directly or upon specific request, does not automatically imply the right to publish.
Publishing is allowed only under certain conditions and after allowing for Member States' comments when applicable. Dissemination of aggregated published TESSy data is authorised subject to appropriate acknowledgement (see Conditions for publishing note).
Requesting access to subsets of TESSy data
Subsets of TESSy data are available for research purposes, in the interest of the public health, under the conditions below to:
- The same group of individuals entitled to direct access that do not already have direct access;
- External researchers (e.g. students, universities, private companies, international organisations etc);
- Contractors for ECDC, the European Commission and other EU Agencies whose access is not otherwise regulated in their contract.
To request access in these specific cases, submit the Request for TESSy Data for Research form to ECDC. This is then reviewed and assessed by an internal group.
If access is granted, the third party will sign and post the Declaration of Commitment to ECDC (address below).
Using subsets of TESSy data
Please note that any data provided following these procedures must be destroyed after use: See Declaration on Data Destruction.
Please also note the disclaimer on the data provided: See ECDC Data Disclaimer (for the recipient of TESSy data).
For further information and to apply for data access, please contact the TESSy data access team: email@example.com.
Original signed forms and related information should be posted to:
Data Access Request
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
Gustav III:s Boulevard 40
To learn more about how ECDC treats any personal data collected for processing external TESSy data access requests, please check the Privacy Statement.