Giardiasis - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2014
In 2014, 23 countries reported giardiasis cases in the EU/EEA in 2014. None of these reported zero cases.
- In 2014, 17 278 confirmed giardiasis cases were reported in the EU/EEA.
- The notification rate was 5.4 confirmed cases per 100 000 population.
- The highest notification rate was observed in the age group 0–4 (16.2 for males and 8.6 for females).
- The trend for 2010–2014 remained relatively stable.
- In 2014, 23 countries reported giardiasis cases in the EU/EEA in 2014. None of these reported zero cases.
- The EU case definitions of 2012/2008 were used by 19 of the 23 countries (Annex).
- Two of the reporting countries had active surveillance of giardiasis (Annex).
- Notification rates and age-standardised rates were not calculated for Belgium, Spain and Romania because the respective national surveillance systems are sentinel systems and do not cover the whole population.
- Although Poland provided aggregated seasonality data for the 2014 cases, data were missing for 2010–2013. Poland could therefore not be included in the seasonal trend analysis.