ECDC Summer School 2016
The ECDC Summer School 2016 was built based on the experience of the ECDC train-the-trainers’ induction workshop for new EPIET and EUPHEM supervisors in July 2011 and previous 2012 to 2015 editions.
The goal of the Summer School was to strengthen the mentoring and technical skills of both ECDC experts and experts within ECDC networks, such as supervisors of the Fellowship programme, by providing an opportunity for networking and scientific exchange.
The specific objectives of the Summer School were:
- Address expressed training needs among EPIET/EUPHEM supervisors
- Bring supervisors together to share and exchange experiences and views on supervision, coaching and creating collaborations between microbiologists and epidemiologists
- Bring ECDC core activities and fellowship network closer, by increasing the ability for supervisors to identify projects that link to ECDC’s core and priority tasks, and facilitating opportunities for Member State and ECDC experts to be aware of and involved in fellowship projects
- Incorporate the trainers of MediPIET into the training networks
The parallel workshops planned were:
- Induction of new and future supervisors
- Supervising a fellow: roles, responsibilities, expectations
- The Fellowships are competency-based programmes
- Scientific writing: The argument matrix and abstract writing
- Scientific review: Surveillance projects and operational research
- From evidence to action in public health
- Public Health Economics
- Public health law perspective in communicable diseases
- Anthropology, applied to communicable disease prevention and control
- Health emergency preparedness
- Hands on training on conducting rapid risk assessments and
Participants could choose to attend the train-train the trainer track, specially designed for supervisors, or parallel technical workshops. At the end of every day, there was a scientific seminar in topics of interest for all the different target audiences. New and future supervisors followed a pre-designed track aimed at induction of supervisors to the fellowship programmes. All other participants chose one workshop per day from the mosaic of available workshops.
The target audiences for the 2016 edition were:
- Supervisors of EPIET and EUPHEM: main supervisors, co-supervisors and also those that support fellows in specific projects (15 seats)
- Member State professionals working in prevention and control of communicable diseases (15 seats)
- ECDC experts (15 seats, or more depending on capacity of the class-room)
- MediPIET Supervisors (15 seats)
- Young Gasteiners (3 seats)
Selection of participants from Member States (EPIET/EUPHEM supervisors and other senior experts) were done through official invitation letters to the National Focal Points for Public Health Training, who were invited to propose the candidates from their respective Member States. The EPIET Training Site Forum and EUPHEM Training forum and the Coordinating Competent Bodies were informed.
Expert consultation meeting: Developing a training course on vaccine acceptance
11 Apr 2019 to 12 Apr 2019 - In order to improve the skills of European health professionals working in healthcare and public health in addressing the doubts and concerns of patients regarding vaccination, ECDC is convening an expert consultation meeting during 11-12 April 2019.
ECDC Summer School 2019
10 Jun 2019 to 14 Jun 2019 - The ECDC Summer School is organised yearly for experts within the ECDC networks with the aim to build EU/EEA Member States’ public health capacity in the area of communicable diseases. Every year meaningful topics are selected based on Member States’ identified needs. The Summer School provides an opportunity for networking and scientific exchange.